The Fu@!&d Education System.

From 3-11, you were told that education was important, and was taught how to do factors correctly and quickly to ensure you pass your SATS- and not how to deal with family problems at home.

From 11-16, you were told that high school is the best time of your life, but was still taught A-grade maths in the hopes of being able to get into college, and not how to deal with your mental health.

From 16-18, you were told “we’re going to treat you like adults!” But call home when you’re inconfident in class due to failing, despite loving the subject you want to do - but education is important, right?

From being a student since the age of 3, I have had my heart set on an education that means benefiting  me in the long run. GCSE grades, college, uni, travelling, writer, enjoying what I want to do, and what I’m passion about. But little did I know that my love for English literature was going to be moulded into an abyss of depression containing failure, disappointment and the underlining thought of “will I be able to go to Uni?”


The thing is, that’s the same for mostly every student in the U.K that wants to attend Uni. The education system teaches us to get good grades, and to be able to remember facts and statistics in order to write an exceptional essay so you can pass with flying colours and get a good grade, to eventually be able to go the University you’ve always wanted to go to.
Over the course of the last week, due to mocks at college, I’ve sat and watched people stress, cry, push themselves to the best they can possibly do just to be told ‘that’s not good enough,’ or ‘you have to get a C or above to be able to continue this course.’ And in fairness, yes, that’s understandable. But I think doing subjects you enjoy should include a lot more than the mental intellectual part of it - because, sadly, students are losing their passion for subjects they enjoy nowadays, due to exams and coursework.

I have always loved English. I loved reading, I loved designing little stories on my computer or conjuring up imaginary things in order to make my boring lifestyle that little bit interesting. I carried the passion with me throughout high school, to college, and hopefully want to take it on at Uni (hopefully being the key word there. I hope you can see what I’m getting at.) But getting an E grade last year due to me underestimating how hard A-Levels were, I’ve pushed myself this year to ensure I impress my teachers, parents and myself, mostly. Because disappointment is something I’m scared of, as a student. And the thing is, I still love English and writing, and I’m passionate about it. But that spark for being able to write to your hearts content has gone. My mental health has deteriorated, I’ve become more anxious and self-doubtful due to fact that I’m obsessed with wanting to do well - and that’s awful. The fact that students put themselves through these things to be able to do the subject they enjoy most at a more elite source of education is heart breaking. And I’m afraid I’m one of them.

But, not everyone wants to go to Uni. Honestly, I applaud the people who say they’re going to take a year out, save up, and travel the world. I wish I could do that, or even have the balls to do that. Because I think experience of the world is a lot more educating than in a Uni lecture. But at the same time I want to experience a uni lifestyle, and have that passion there with me. If you’re one of those people that want to travel after college, please do it. I have every belief that you will do just as good as anyone else.

The bottom line is, we feed into the education system. Whether that be positively or negatively, it acts as a magnet - attracting more and more people as the years go on. But it doesn’t have to be like that! Get an apprenticeship, travel the world, study abroad, work full time - you have so many life opportunities that could be spent elsewhere. I’m not saying don’t go to Uni because, I mean, I’m going and I WANT to go. But...Don’t let the education system win. Revise that subject you can’t seem to grasp, listen to your teachers, and have faith in yourself. Because, at the end of the day, there will always be a place for you in this crowded world.

Stay happy :)

- E

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular

Being 'Plus Size.'