The Real 'Freshers Flu.'

Firstly, congratulations to all the people that got into University! Whether it be through clearing, your unconditional or conditional offer - you did it. All the hard work obviously paid off, and you're now moving to a different location, spending time with different people, and spending the next three years of your life swamped in deadlines, pot noodles and a Jaegar. Or, that's what people make you think.

Since being at University, for three months now may I just add, I've noticed a lot of things about 'University Life' that are untrue and false.
Before going to University, the thought of living in an entirely different place was interesting to me. Leaving people I don't need in my life behind me and focusing solely on my studies and surviving through not dying of hunger, appealed to me massively. But obviously, if you're attending Uni at the moment, you are aware of the 'Freshers Flu.' Freshers Flu is, by definition, "illnesses contracted by new students during the first few weeks at a university and college.' I'm one of the lucky ones that haven't actually got freshers flu; (yet, touch wood) which could be mainly because I only have five people in my entire flat, two of which never come out of their rooms. Which is fine, if you are an introverted person, who doesn't like to go out a lot, drink, and enjoy basking in their own company and not with other people, that's fine! People have this perception of introverted people at University as boring and uninteresting and that 'ruin their Uni experience.' But that's far from true, and we shouldn't label these people as boring just because they like to enjoy the comforts of their own uni room, and don't want to take a shot of Jaeger off of a strangers stomach on a Monday night. Leave them be, they aren't hurting you or anyone else.

I think, in my opinion, there are two definitions of the 'Freshers Flu.' There's the contraction of illness', which from what I've gathered is awful due to the masses of people coughing and spluttering in my lectures, but also the homesickness, the drop in confidence, and don't forget the gaining of weight from eating endless biscuits and packeted pasta sauces and pot noodles, just because it's cheap. I spent £25 on salad and healthy foods today. Twenty-five pounds. I spent £10 the other day on pasta, crisps, and chocolate. The contrast is disgusting.

Since being at University, I wouldn't say I've felt overly 'homesick.' I've wanted to go home at some points because my anxiety goes through the roof, and often spend nights crying in bed because I miss the comforts of my own home. And, when I do go home, usually at the weekends, I sit in my own house feeling like it isn't my house. I sit in my living room like I'm a stranger, even though I spent 16 years of my life in my house, it feels like I shouldn't be sitting in the living room, eating out of the fridge, or even sleeping in my own bed. It's weird.

As for the drop in confidence, anyone who knows me properly knows that I try my best to bring self-confidence and love to myself and those around me, but since being at University I've lost all confidence in myself. Going out every weekend in Wakefield seems a task to do in York, sitting down and doing my makeup seems a task for when it doesn't turn out right, and doesn't look as good as someone else's, and don't forget about not looking in the mirror. Since being at University I've looked in the mirror about thirty times. Thirsty times in three months. I hate how I look, what I look like in the clothes I wear, how much weight I've put on. It knocks me sick. It feels like I've rewound back a year or so ago when I couldn't look in the mirror at all without breaking down in tears, and that's awful.

But, a lot of good things have come out of being at University. You value a lot of your friends back home, as well as your family. They will do anything to help you along your journey, whether it means sending you a bit of money or food parcels or toiletries, or even your friends buying you a few drinks on a night out because they know you can't afford it as much as they can - it helps a lot. And it makes me value them whenever I do feel homesick and go home.
I also value seeing my boyfriend, and his kindness of helping me with my breakdowns over studies, lack of money and my confidence in myself. He raises my confidence when I feel low, and for that, I'm forever grateful to have him. I feel like it's important to have people in your life who you know can help and support you to the best of their abilities, and George is definitely one of them.


And don't get me wrong, a lot of people don't have this 'Fresher's Flu' of which I'm describing. They go out every night, don't feel homesick at all, can live off of pasta and cheap Mcdonald's without gaining any weight and still go out the next night feeling confident in themselves. And to those people I envy you, I really do. I didn't know University would be this way, but it is, and I have to stick with it for another 2 years and a bit because the career I want to go into in the future requires me to have an English associated degree. So, what I'm saying is, if you really need to go to Uni, definitely go, and live in halls for your first year like I have (but be prepared for an endless amount of wanting to move out due to your roommates being messy and uneducated in how to take the bins out) as that is the best way to experience your first year. But if you don't need to go, don't go because you have this expectation that you will be out 'drinking every weekend,' and 'first year doesn't count so I don't have to do any work.' You do, and you need to. You still need to do readings, you still need to do work, and you are still in education so you still need to learn. I know that's not what everyone wants to hear reading this... But I tend to try and be as truthful as I can on this blog, so there you go.


But, overall, I've loved the independence of being at Uni. It's allowed me to cook for myself, do things I never thought I would do without the help from my parents and also manage money accoerdingly. I'd say Uni is the best and worst thing to happen to me, but I guess those are the things in life you learn from the most. Right?


Thank you for always reading & supporting, it means a lot to me. And good luck to my fellow Uni students on our next 2 (or 3 if you're doing a masters!) years :)


- Em x



Comments

Most Popular

Being 'Plus Size.'

The Fu@!&d Education System.